This well-known piano piece by young Debussy was published as the third (slow) movement of the four movements of his Bergamask Suite (HN381). In spite of its rather conventional harmony, this music with delicate sonorities and melody with finesse already announces the late style of Debussy. Although the sequel was published only in 1905, the inscription of the year of composition ("1890") made by Debussy in the engraving cupboard shows that it is indeed a older work. His agreement for the publication, however, shows that he still identified in this work dating from an era yet long since outdated stylistically.
(Note from the Ecuador)